6 people injured, 2 dogs killed in Merced house fire
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A massive fire at a home in the North Valley injures six people and kills two dogs.
The flames broke out shortly before 6 a.m. Monday at a home on Green Street near Santa Fe in Merced.
Firefighters were on the scene late Monday morning, investigating what caused a fire to break out at a Merced home. Investigators said it took about one hour to put out the flames.
Fire officials said the fire started in the back of the house. They received a call around 5:30 a.m. on Monday of a structure fire with possible victims. When they arrived on scene, they found the house fully engulfed in flames.
Investigators said many of the victims were outside the home -- but on closer inspection, firefighters found one victim inside that was unconscious. They were able to pull the person out and resuscitate them.
"I got to witness my brother actually standing in flames. The flames were actually on him. He was trying to pull our mother out by her hands -- and she's laying down flat -- just lifeless," said one of the family members outside of the home.
Six people were taken to the hospital with burn injuries and smoke inhalation. Three of the victims were transported from Mercy Medical Center to Fresno Community Regional Medical Center.
Two dogs died in the fire.
The Red Cross was at the scene, late Monday morning, trying to help the displaced family.
A total of 10 people lived inside the structure.
fire, merced, merced county, local, carlos saucedo
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos