6 people injured, 2 dogs killed in Merced house fire
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A massive fire at a home in the North Valley injures six people and kills two dogs.
The flames broke out shortly before 6 a.m. Monday at a home on Green Street near Santa Fe in Merced.
Firefighters were on the scene late Monday morning, investigating what caused a fire to break out at a Merced home. Investigators said it took about one hour to put out the flames.
Fire officials said the fire started in the back of the house. They received a call around 5:30 a.m. on Monday of a structure fire with possible victims. When they arrived on scene, they found the house fully engulfed in flames.
Investigators said many of the victims were outside the home -- but on closer inspection, firefighters found one victim inside that was unconscious. They were able to pull the person out and resuscitate them.
"I got to witness my brother actually standing in flames. The flames were actually on him. He was trying to pull our mother out by her hands -- and she's laying down flat -- just lifeless," said one of the family members outside of the home.
Six people were taken to the hospital with burn injuries and smoke inhalation. Three of the victims were transported from Mercy Medical Center to Fresno Community Regional Medical Center.
Two dogs died in the fire.
The Red Cross was at the scene, late Monday morning, trying to help the displaced family.
A total of 10 people lived inside the structure.
fire, merced, merced county, local, carlos saucedo
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Accuweather Forecast
13 min ago