Valley churches volunteer in the community
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Services at several churches were canceled today to encourage people to volunteer in their community.
The Well Community Church is just one of many that take part in the annual day of service.
Participants met at Fresno State and scattered throughout the community to help in a variety of ways. Organizers say the event is a way of getting people to take their faith to the streets.
Brad Bell, well community church pastor said, "But people are beginning to understand it's not just about serving certain pockets but needs in every neighborhood."
Nearly 2,000 people across the Valley helped work on about 100 different projects. Organizers say the goal is to make this type of service a way of life.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- Jay Leno among TV Hall of Fame inductees