Valley churches volunteer in the community
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Services at several churches were canceled today to encourage people to volunteer in their community.
The Well Community Church is just one of many that take part in the annual day of service.
Participants met at Fresno State and scattered throughout the community to help in a variety of ways. Organizers say the event is a way of getting people to take their faith to the streets.
Brad Bell, well community church pastor said, "But people are beginning to understand it's not just about serving certain pockets but needs in every neighborhood."
Nearly 2,000 people across the Valley helped work on about 100 different projects. Organizers say the goal is to make this type of service a way of life.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president 6 min ago
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones
- Mild, dry weather helps California rice growers