San Francisco law firm wants to put stop to hazing
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- That's just one of the goals behind a wrongful death lawsuit. You'll recall 18-year-old Philip Dhanens died after a night of drinking at a Fresno State fraternity party last fall.
Attorneys are after 6 different people who were at the fraternity on the night in question. They're after both the local and national chapters of the Theta Chi Fraternity.
You'll recall prosecutors have already filed hazing charges against the two Theta Chi members they believe provided the alcohol for the party as well as the chapter president. This latest court filing is a civil lawsuit seeking damages stemming from Philip Dhanens' death.
Attorneys tell Action News they're looking for prevention and public awareness, and they ultimately want a court order to stop fraternities from this sort of "bid night" rituals.
They also say a 911 call would have saved the teens life. Dhanens was one of 14 pledges who were taken into a room at Theta Chi back in August of 2012.
They were given several bottles of alcohol and police say they were told they couldn't leave the room until the alcohol was gone. Investigators say Dhanens had the equivalent of 37 shots of alcohol that night.
Investigators say his blood alcohol measured near .40.
fresno, fresno county, fresno state bulldogs, local, stephanie stone
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development 33 min ago
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- City of Fresno to hire 8 people to help...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos