Los Banos PD searches for hit-and-run suspect
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Los Banos police are looking for the driver who ran over a teenager and killed him before leaving the scene.
The hit-and-run happened on the intersection of Fairmont Drive and Cardinal Street just before 8 p.m. on Saturday. A thin black ribbon on the door is just a small sign of all the grief inside the family's home.
Fernando Buenrostro, Sr., father of the victim said, "Every day is harder because it's that much more time I don't have with him."
Fernando Buenrrostro can't believe his home videos of his shy teenage son, Fernando Jr. are the only ways he'll ever be able to see him again.
The 18-year-old was a great student with a strong faith who was also enrolled in the National Guard.
"He really liked doing it and I think he always wanted to serve his country," his father said.
Los Banos police say a driver ran over him while the teenager was on a motorized scooter. Fernando suffered major head injuries and died at a hospital. The driver escaped the scene. Police are now looking for any witnesses who saw a light colored, possibility white Chevrolet or Ford style truck leave the area.
Cmdr. Ray Reyna of the Los Banos Police said, "It's very sad that this would happen in our town but I am hoping someone will come forward and provide information."
The memorial for Fernando Buenrostro has continued to grow throughout the day and today his school community paused to remember and honor his life.
Counselors were on hand throughout the day at Los Banos High School where Fernando graduated from last year. Fernando's dad is asking the person responsible to own up.
"You took my most precious gift, my very first gift that god gave me and you took it away from me. I just hope and pray that god gives you the strength to come forward."
The family says they are relying on their strong faith to cope with their loss.
los banos, merced, merced county, hit and run, accident, local, mariana jacob
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos