Modesto wastewater workers investigated for selling 'sewer gold'
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some Modesto wastewater employees are under investigation for selling thousands of dollars' worth of gold jewelry. Here's the catch, they found those jewels, in the city's sewer system.
In the video, you'll see some of the gold that came into one dealer's shop, over the past several months. It was collected by city employees from you-know-where.
Yvonne Brawley, a supervisor at Modesto Gold, Jewelry and Coins said, "From the city sewer traps, and they cleaned it up. And some of it wasn't gold and some of it was."
A routine audit of pawn shop records led Modesto police to wonder why the city employees didn't report to the found gold to their supervisors. They set the total value of the sewer jewelry at $2,500.00, and will submit their report to the DA for possible criminal prosecution.
Armando Jimenez with South Side Pawn said, "It's easy to clean. You put it in a good solution, clean it up, and it's good as new."
Back at the shop that actually bought the sewer gold, they're wondering why police are making a fuss about it.
James Brawley said, "You know the old saying, finders keepers?"
"They should be able to keep it if they found it," said Yvonne Brawley. "Nobody's going to want it. It took a lot of work trying to get that out."
Regardless of where the criminal investigation winds up, at this point, officials say it doesn't appear the sewer workers violated any city policies in keeping the gold.
modesto, local, christine park
- Authorities are investigating a homicide in Fresno County
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District 50 min ago
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Dr. Joseph Castro named new Fresno State...
21 min ago