Fresno man pushes daughter's stroller in traffic to escape capture
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police say a wanted man pushed his daughter's stroller right into traffic Wednesday, to try to escape capture.
Officers say Manuel Perez's actions almost cost his little girl her life.
The driver of a Ford pickup slammed on his brakes and barely missed the child.
Police say Perez has had domestic problems with his wife in recent days.
The latest issues began over the weekend when police say he held a loaded gun to her head, and then beat her up.
For six hours Wednesday, officers surrounded his apartment while he was barricaded inside with his wife and kids.
Finally, he came out, casually pushing his daughter in a stroller when officers spotted him and closed in.
Larry Bowlan with the Fresno Police Department said, "This subject in his cowardice act actually started to run across Butler in a northbound direction while pushing his three-year-old daughter. And pushed her out in front of traffic letting go of the stroller as a large pickup was coming westbound and had to lock up its brakes and came within 3 to 5 feet of running over the child."
During a search of the apartment, officers found a loaded sawed off shotgun and 19 rounds of ammunition. Police say the suspect hid it in a wall.
The woman and her children are in protective custody. The suspect is in jail, facing nine felony charges.
crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 8 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs 54 min ago
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
7 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
8 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
15 min ago
- Proposition 30 allows Parlier students to...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos