Child abuse investigation lands Visalia man behind bars
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The little boy is still in the hospital and listed in critical condition. Investigators say he has a serious head injury.
Doctors say it's the type of injury that couldn't have come from a fall.
Neighbors who live on south Encina Street watched as police spent the past day and a half taking pictures and collecting evidence inside this home. Trevor Bishop, 30, lives with his girlfriend and her two children. Visalia police went to the home after getting a call from Kaweah Delta about a three year old with a serious head injury.
Sgt.Amy Watkins of Visalia Police said, "Investigators rely heavily on medical staff to give us their professional opinion on the type of force required to inflict certain types of injuries to children."
Watkins said medical staff rushed the child to Fresno as his injuries were significant. The violent crimes unit interviewed the child's mother and her boyfriend, Trevor Bishop. Visalia Police Department has also arrested 29-year-old Desie Horton.
"It was determined that he was possibly responsible and negligent causing the injury to the child so he was arrested," Watkins said.
She says investigators don't try to be doctors nor do doctors attempt to be investigators, but she says injuries can tell stories even if the person can't talk.
"The force would have had to have been greater than a common fall," she said."
The couple hadn't lived in the neighborhood very long, neighbors told Action News that they're renting and that the family kept to themselves.
Child protective services are involved; police say a second child is now staying with relatives.
visalia, tulare county, child abuse, local, stephanie stone
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight 1 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man