Child abuse investigation lands Visalia man behind bars
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The little boy is still in the hospital and listed in critical condition. Investigators say he has a serious head injury.
Doctors say it's the type of injury that couldn't have come from a fall.
Neighbors who live on south Encina Street watched as police spent the past day and a half taking pictures and collecting evidence inside this home. Trevor Bishop, 30, lives with his girlfriend and her two children. Visalia police went to the home after getting a call from Kaweah Delta about a three year old with a serious head injury.
Sgt.Amy Watkins of Visalia Police said, "Investigators rely heavily on medical staff to give us their professional opinion on the type of force required to inflict certain types of injuries to children."
Watkins said medical staff rushed the child to Fresno as his injuries were significant. The violent crimes unit interviewed the child's mother and her boyfriend, Trevor Bishop. Visalia Police Department has also arrested 29-year-old Desie Horton.
"It was determined that he was possibly responsible and negligent causing the injury to the child so he was arrested," Watkins said.
She says investigators don't try to be doctors nor do doctors attempt to be investigators, but she says injuries can tell stories even if the person can't talk.
"The force would have had to have been greater than a common fall," she said."
The couple hadn't lived in the neighborhood very long, neighbors told Action News that they're renting and that the family kept to themselves.
Child protective services are involved; police say a second child is now staying with relatives.
visalia, tulare county, child abuse, local, stephanie stone
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case