Teenager shot and killed in a Madera drive-by
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family members of a teenager who was killed in a drive-by shooting in Madera are looking for justice.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office said the teen was gunned down near Avenue 13 ½ and Cronin Street Thursday just before 10 p.m.
Investigators are still looking for the suspect and say that the victim, Robert Moreno, 19, was not far from his home when he was killed. The teenager was gunned down while walking to the neighborhood convenient store, Quick Stop. Family members say that he was on his way to purchase milk.
Cynthia Moreno, the victim's aunt said, "It didn't matter what he did, he always had a smile on his face." Moreno said that her nephew stayed out of trouble. Her and other family members were shocked that he was shot only one-half of a mile away from their home.
Investigators say that while Moreno was en route on Avenue 13 ½ to the store, a vehicle heading in the opposite direction pulled up and opened fire on the teenager.
Erica Stuart of the Madera County Sheriff's Office said, "He was just heading to the store to get a gallon of milk when he got gunned down, and what deputies are trying to figure out is why?"
Detectives are hoping someone spotted the getaway car. It is described as baby blue four-door Honda Accord with stock rims. Moreno's Aunt is hoping that someone will come forward.
She says her nephew didn't deserve such a violent death. She says that her nephew was a good kid. Anyone with information is asked to call the Madera County Sheriff's Office.
madera, madera county, madera ranchos, murder, shooting, local, mariana jacob
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 39 min ago
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case