Teenager shot and killed in a Madera drive-by
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family members of a teenager who was killed in a drive-by shooting in Madera are looking for justice.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office said the teen was gunned down near Avenue 13 ½ and Cronin Street Thursday just before 10 p.m.
Investigators are still looking for the suspect and say that the victim, Robert Moreno, 19, was not far from his home when he was killed. The teenager was gunned down while walking to the neighborhood convenient store, Quick Stop. Family members say that he was on his way to purchase milk.
Cynthia Moreno, the victim's aunt said, "It didn't matter what he did, he always had a smile on his face." Moreno said that her nephew stayed out of trouble. Her and other family members were shocked that he was shot only one-half of a mile away from their home.
Investigators say that while Moreno was en route on Avenue 13 ½ to the store, a vehicle heading in the opposite direction pulled up and opened fire on the teenager.
Erica Stuart of the Madera County Sheriff's Office said, "He was just heading to the store to get a gallon of milk when he got gunned down, and what deputies are trying to figure out is why?"
Detectives are hoping someone spotted the getaway car. It is described as baby blue four-door Honda Accord with stock rims. Moreno's Aunt is hoping that someone will come forward.
She says her nephew didn't deserve such a violent death. She says that her nephew was a good kid. Anyone with information is asked to call the Madera County Sheriff's Office.
madera, madera county, madera ranchos, murder, shooting, local, mariana jacob
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76