Man dead in Elderwood home invasion
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man died during a home invasion robbery. The Tulare County Sheriff's Department says the suspects were after cash and marijuana.
The deadly home invasion happened Sunday night in the community of Elderwood, which is about 17 miles northeast of Visalia.
Neighbors say the victim was open with people about how he had a medical marijuana card and was selling the marijuana he was growing.
Deputies here say he died after intruders broke into the home, shot him and stole cash and marijuana.
Tulare County deputies spent all day collecting evidence at the house in the small community of Elderwood, north of Woodlake.
Late Sunday night, investigators say between two and four men forced their way into the home, cut the phone lines and demanded cash and marijuana.
Raul Gonzalez, 30, came face to face with the intruders. His parents were in another area of the house and were able to escape unharmed.
Sheila Hartman was frightened when her neighbor ran to her house for help right after the crime. Hartman says her neighbor who lives in the house attached to hers, ran to help the victim. She says the family has lived next to her for 12 years and they've always been good neighbors. She says the victim was open about growing pot.
The Tulare County Sheriff's Department confirms they've investigated the home for growing marijuana illegally in the past. But weren't able to finish the case because the marijuana had been harvested.
Deputies are still looking for the suspects, if you have any info you're asked to call them immediately.
woodlake, lemon cove, ivanhoe, cutler, orosi, tulare county, home invasion, homicide, crimetracker, local, jessica peres
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Pep Boys shops closed and under suspension
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Clovis mother writes 'It's Ok, Mama Has Cancer'
- Arraignment postponed in accidental Fresno shooting
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Merced water restrictions a step closer to reality
- Car crash knocks doctor's office off its foundation
- Small Wyoming town evacuated after gas explosion
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Memory palace: coping with chemo brain
- Valley sees progress against air pollution