Fresno family escapes life-threatening house fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno firefighters say a lack of working smoke detectors could have cost a young woman her life Saturday.
Investigators believe a leftover cigarette sparked the fire in the patio area of a home on Indianapolis Avenue near Dearing Avenues.
The flames then spread into the attic, causing about $100,000 in damage. A captain at the scene says one of the residents was sleeping at the time, and the home did not have any working smoke alarms.
Capt. Andrew Noel of Fresno City Fire Dept. said, "This young lady was able to wake up either because of pets or smell, but it's very rare to wake up because of fire. If the smoke in the house continued to get worse she could have fallen into a deeper sleep and not woke up."
Firefighters say along with having working smoke detectors, it's also important to make sure cigarettes are put out properly.
This fire displaced two people and multiple pets.
fresno, fresno county, fire, fresno northeast, local
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases 15 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo 47 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- Accuweather Forecast
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos