FPD on high alert after officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It could be a very long Easter Sunday as the Fresno Police Department is on high alert due to one of their officers suspected to be the target of gang retaliation.
Early Sunday morning, FPD investigated the murder of a 23-year-old man, when authorities learned where the suspect of the homicide may have been.
Sunday afternoon authorities followed the suspect in a police vehicle and began to chase the suspect's vehicle as the suspect fled. Authorities then rammed the vehicle, where the suspect got out and fled on foot.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "Two officers gave chase and at some point the suspect according to the officers made some type of movement that caused the officers to believe that he was arming himself. The officers fired their weapons at the suspect."
Dyer said as they were detaining the suspect on the ground they located a hand gun on his person. None of the officers were hurt, but authorities are concerned due to repeated threats received from gang members.
Dyer said his department is being targeted and gang members are suspected to have started arming themselves. Special police units are being activated for Fresno Sunday night as a precaution.
Action New Reporter Mariana Jacob was at the scene where the officer-involved shooting had taken place. Two blocks on Arthur Avenue had been blocked off after the shooting happened, and several Fresno police detectives walked the area for about four hours going door to door speaking with witnesses.
Authorities say the man who was shot was a known gang member, and neighbors in the area were upset that their children had to see violence, especially on Easter Sunday.
The suspect's mother said her son was in critical condition and in surgery at Community Regional Medical Center.
The suspects mother, Chantal Lewis said, "He's been in trouble in his lifetime, but he didn't deserve to get shot."
Lewis said her son was shot several times, including in the head.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southwest, officer involved shooting, shooting, high speed chase, local, mariana jacob
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced 1 min ago
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- HWY 41 opens near Tenaya Lodge after closed due to snow
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
7 min ago