FPD is heavily armed and on guard after threats
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police beefed up patrols throughout the city after getting tips about possible gang retaliation against officers.
Officers all over Fresno were partnered up on Monday night. They said they're on edge because Jerel Stanfield has a high status in his gang and now other members may be looking to retaliate.
On Monday night tension was high following an officer involved shooting in Southwest Fresno that critically wounded Jerel Stanfield. "We are concentrating units in these gang hot spots and in southwest and in particular areas where the officer involved shooting occurred," said Lt. Jose Garza.
Action News has also learned at least two officers were given extra protection. "There was significant concerns that we received that some of these gang members were going to target police officers for the purpose of killing them," said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer.
Investigators said Stanfield is a gang member with a high status. He is also a murder suspect in the killing of 23-year-old Will Simpson. Detectives told Action News Simpson was gunned down outside his car while a three year old baby and the toddler's mother were inside. Hours after that murder, Police tracked Stanfield down, which kicked off a chase. Police told us they pinned his SUV in a Southwest neighborhood before he took off running. Detectives believed he was armed and was a threat. "After he was shot and the officers were attempting to restrain him they located a handgun in his pants," said Chief Dyer.
Stanfield's mother said police should never have shot her son. "They're saying they may have found a weapon but it wasn't on his person. He was shot in his back and he was shot in the back of the head and as far as I know when someone is running away from you, you are not in danger," said Chantal Lewis.
crimetracker, gang, shooting, officer involved shooting, fresno southwest, fresno county, fresno, local, mariana jacob
- 3 boys missing in Dinuba
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera 10 min ago
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal 52 min ago
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement