Woman who couldn't drive killed when she slammed vehicle into store
HOUSTON -- A woman is dead after crashing a vehicle into a store at Almeda Mall in southeast Houston.
The tragic wreck happened at the Exclusive Furniture Store in the 12200 block of Gulf Freeway at 7pm Tuesday. Police say the driver of a gray Toyota 4Runner was inside his vehicle with a 28-year-old woman and her two children in the store's parking lot. As the male driver and the victim's daughter stepped out of the vehicle, the victim jumped into the driver's seat and asked the male to teach her how to drive.
The victim released the hand brake and stepped on the accelerator. Before the male could stop her, police say the vehicle took off and struck the exterior of the furniture store and then hit a parked 2004 black Dodge Neon.
The victim died at the scene. The victim's 10-year-old son, who was in the vehicle at the time of the accident, was transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition.
Police say the female victim was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident. Her identity has not been released.
Some people were inside the store at the time, but none of them were injured. The building suffered heavy damage.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region