Man ambushed, fatally shot on Houston's south side
HOUSTON -- Authorities are on the hunt for two people who ambushed and killed a man outside his home Wednesday.
It happened just after 9am at a brick home on Buffum at Grassmere on Houston's south side.
According to investigators, the victim, Chordario Detwuan Brothers, 24, was inside his home preparing to take his girlfriend to work when he heard a noise and stepped outside. Officials said that's when he was cornered by two armed men just inches away from his front door and gunned down.
The killers are still on the run, but Houston police believe a series of clues at the crime scene could lead them to the suspects.
One eyewitness says she saw two men fleeing the scene, but they weren't running away, she said. They were walking. They were long gone by the time police arrived. Even police dogs couldn't track their scent.
One of the gunmen had a military-style assault type weapon -- possibly an AK-47, police said.
"My mom basically raised him, took him to church and everything," a friend of the victim told us.
The man we spoke to doesn't want to be identified, but he said the victim was like a brother to him.
"Somebody cool like that. Everybody like hanging with cool people like that," he said.
Police haven't said what might have motivated the shooting. One eyewitness said she heard the suspects yell something before the shooting, but she couldn't tell what it was.
"At this point we don't know," HPD Sgt. James Racus said. "We are still going to have to check into some things, talk to witnesses and, as the case progresses, that very well could be, but at this point, we don't know."
All of this has left those who live in the area on edge, and police don't have a good description of the men, described only as two black males. They say that is going to make this investigation difficult.
Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list 12 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints