Houston bike sharing program adds 18 new locations
HOUSTON -- Houstonians now have access to a lot more bicycles around town.
The city Wednesday expanded the bike share program. It now has 21 B-Cycle stations stocked with 175 bikes. B-Cycle is a bike share program providing a transportation alternative. The city plans to provide even more bikes in other areas.
"We want to provide stations and bikes to residents and workers from the medical center to Washington Avenue to the Heights as well as including our local universities," said Mayor Parker.
The self-service B-Cycle stations will be available from 6am to 11pm every day. Bikes can be checked out during these hours and dropped back at the same location or any other B-cycle station.
The pilot program began on May 2, 2012 with B-Cycle stations at City Hall, Market Square Park, and the George R. Brown Convention Center. With the completion of Phase II, bikes are now available at 18 new locations including four located along the METRORail:
Smith and Capitol
Lamar and Milam
Main and Dallas
La Branch and Lamar
McKinney and Caroline
UHD/Main and Franklin
Rusk and St. Emanuel
METRO Transit Center
Milam and Capitol
W. Gray and Baldwin
Westheimer and Waugh
MFAH/Fannin and Montrose
This expansion was made possible in part to a $750,000 commitment from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.
Phase III expansion discussions and planning include additional stations in downtown, Montrose and the East End, as well as the Texas Medical Center and local universities. New neighborhoods could be added as well.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos