Driver in Madera fatal crash has suspended license
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A six-year-old girl lost her life when the car she was in swerved off the highway and into a grapevine.
The crash happened Tuesday afternoon on the southbound lanes of the Highway 99 near Avenue 12.
Investigators say the driver should not have been behind the wheel. Authorities say six-year-old Kilia Flores' life was cut short when the Chevy Aveo she was riding in lost control.
"The driver that was seriously injured made an erratic movement at 65 mph, lost control of the vehicle; the vehicle left the roadway and overturned."
The Chevy was going southbound on Highway 99 when it lost control passing a truck. It went through a barbed-wire fence ending on its side in the grapevine.
Investigators say the six-year-old girl was strapped properly into her booster seat but the collision was just too severe.
Her mother, Frances Flores, and 13-year-old brother were also seriously injured and taken to Community Regional Medical Center. The 13-year-old boy had to be flown to the hospital.
Investigators are still working to determine what caused Flores to lose control.
The family was heading home to Reedley from a cousin's funeral in Madera. Flores admitted to drinking earlier in the day.
"We do know that were was some consumption of an alcoholic beverage, but to what level, we don't know."
Investigators say they will be reviewing toxicology reports to determine her exact blood alcohol level.
But they say Flores should not have been behind the wheel. She was driving on a suspended license from probation violations stemming from a DUI back in 2007.
Investigators say it may take several weeks before they get the toxicology report.
madera county, madera, dui, reedley, crimetracker, local, carlos saucedo
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno 47 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case 31 min ago
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Accuweather Forecast
35 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos