Suspect arrested after crime spree in north Harris Co.
HOUSTON -- Charges are pending against a man who allegedly went on a wild overnight crime spree in north Harris County.
Police say he burglarized homes and stole cars from a number of locations in the Northgate Crossing area. He was eventually caught along the North Freeway between Airtex and Richey.
Neighbors this morning heard car alarms going off on Calico Ridge, and at one house down the street, a homeowner startled the suspect just before he broke into his pickup.
"As I looked out the door, the man was just jogging right up the street with a shotgun in his hand," said resident Gray Wagner.
Wagner had just come home last night when he found himself face to face with a man armed with a shotgun.
"He didn't notice me standing here, and he reared the gun up like he was going to smash my window," Wagner said. "And as he reared the gun up, I was like, 'Hey, what are you doing?'"
Wagner says the man ran down the street, and in spite of the gun, he instinctively chased after him.
"Just as he made that curve, he turned around and told me I should stop where I was," he said.
From there, police say the suspect went to the 900 block of Taylor Ridge, where he stole a car.
Before running into Wagner, police say the suspect had already stolen and ditched one car, and broken into a home, where he stole two guns.
Kalin Reed first heard car alarms, then police.
"I couldn't sleep at all last night. I stayed awake. And every time a car passed, I looked out my window because I didn't know who it could be. I didn't know what it was," she said.
After spotting the stolen car, police followed the suspect to the 15300 block of I-45, where he bailed out and ran. A K-9 unit finally found him and he was taken into custody.
"That is a huge, huge relief. I feel like I can sleep a lot better at night now," said Reed.
The suspect was treated at the scene for a dog bite. He faces several charges including burglary and armed robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos