California High-Speed Rail Authority discusses potential changes
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Board of Directors of the California High-Speed Rail Authority came to Fresno primarily to look at potential changes in the route.
Chairman Dan Richard explained, "We've got some very important decisions to make both in the area around Chowchilla where the train would both go north and shift to the west and then as we go from Fresno down to Bakersfield there are a number of different choices as to how we would go through Kings County."
But, the meeting brought out the critics, like Mary Jane Fagundes of Kingsburg. "You the high-speed rail board are like snakes slithering on the ground."
Another Critic, Karen Stout of Kings County told the board, "The proposed high speed rail system you are planning is not what the citizens of California voted for in 2008."
A lawsuit alleging the current plans aren't what voters approved will be heard in court at the end of May. But the authority has done away with many other legal challenges, most recently from Madera County.
Newly appointed Madera County Supervisor Manuel l Nevarrez told the rail board, "I am here to express my joy with the recent board decision to get out of the lawsuit our county was a party to against the high speed rail."
Dan Richard told Action News he welcomed the support and the criticism offered at the meeting. "This thing is going to have impacts, block by block, farm by farm business by business and so we want to have the greatest understanding we can about the routes the options the choices and then we can do whatever we can do to get the best result with the least impact."
The board will not vote on the routes around Chowchilla and through Kings and Kern Counties until next month. At the Fresno meeting they did approve spending an additional $50 million on environmental and engineering studies for the alternate routes.
high speed rail, local, gene haagenson
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder 54 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence
- Canada plans claim that would include North Pole
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks