Police arrest nearly 50 in SW Fresno gang sweep
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly 50 people in Southwest Fresno were arrested Wednesday on felony charges. Police say more than two dozen are gang members.
Officers say the unannounced operations were needed because of a rise in shootings, and threats of retaliation by members of a violent gang.
Four guns were also recovered during the searches and patrol stops. Police say gang members are even threatening certain officers by name.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The officers that have been named are people that are investigators that have been involved in gang investigations. They are also members of the departments that are known to gang members."
Police say the problems flared up Easter Sunday when officers confronted a murder suspect. Jerel Stanfield, 24, was shot when investigators say he ran.
Chief Dyer says a gun was found on Stanfield and the weapon was used in five shootings including a murder.
Police are now closely watching locations gang members plan to target.
crimetracker, gang, fresno county, fresno, local, sontaya rose
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels 56 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases