Police arrest nearly 50 in SW Fresno gang sweep
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly 50 people in Southwest Fresno were arrested Wednesday on felony charges. Police say more than two dozen are gang members.
Officers say the unannounced operations were needed because of a rise in shootings, and threats of retaliation by members of a violent gang.
Four guns were also recovered during the searches and patrol stops. Police say gang members are even threatening certain officers by name.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The officers that have been named are people that are investigators that have been involved in gang investigations. They are also members of the departments that are known to gang members."
Police say the problems flared up Easter Sunday when officers confronted a murder suspect. Jerel Stanfield, 24, was shot when investigators say he ran.
Chief Dyer says a gun was found on Stanfield and the weapon was used in five shootings including a murder.
Police are now closely watching locations gang members plan to target.
crimetracker, gang, fresno county, fresno, local, sontaya rose
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers 25 min ago
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos