Police arrest nearly 50 in SW Fresno gang sweep
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly 50 people in Southwest Fresno were arrested Wednesday on felony charges. Police say more than two dozen are gang members.
Officers say the unannounced operations were needed because of a rise in shootings, and threats of retaliation by members of a violent gang.
Four guns were also recovered during the searches and patrol stops. Police say gang members are even threatening certain officers by name.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The officers that have been named are people that are investigators that have been involved in gang investigations. They are also members of the departments that are known to gang members."
Police say the problems flared up Easter Sunday when officers confronted a murder suspect. Jerel Stanfield, 24, was shot when investigators say he ran.
Chief Dyer says a gun was found on Stanfield and the weapon was used in five shootings including a murder.
Police are now closely watching locations gang members plan to target.
crimetracker, gang, fresno county, fresno, local, sontaya rose
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County 44 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos