Increase in crashes along Fresno's main highway
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Construction along Fresno's main highway interchange is bringing with it traffic, and a number of crashes.
These days it's hard to say there's no traffic in Fresno. In fact, cars and trucks moved at a snail's pace during the morning commute as drivers tried to not only merge onto Highway 180, but to pass a crash on the shoulder. Other minor crashes were also reported around the same time, it's a trend officers are also seeing.
Officer James Pennick said, "There's a little bit more accidents, everybody seems to be in a hurry, trying to get to work or wherever. So start a little bit earlier and slow down."
With the braided ramp project construction changing the flow of traffic, Officer James Pennick with the California Highway Patrol says commuters need to pay close attention as lanes change and merge.
Officer Pennick explained, "With the construction site, the merge it's a little tough at time, but you just have to slow down and be cautious and be courteous."
And drivers will need to be more alert with new changes. Construction officials say starting Thursday morning, if you're heading northbound on the 41, to go east on the180 you'll have to merge earlier. If you're heading out to Clovis, from the 180, you'll have just one dedicated lane. They are changes that will allow crews to work on the braided ramp project.
Project Manager Pat Hinterberger said, "We've gotten a lot of work done and we've still got a lot more to do, but you'll be seeing a lot more crews out here in the coming weeks."
The changes will remain until summer. The braided ramps project is expected to be complete in December, but until then, Valley drivers can expect to commute in a construction zone.
fresno county, fresno, local, amanda venegas
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks 26 min ago
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course 9 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program 31 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic...
20 min ago
- Lawsuit filed after fight at Fresno's Elbow...
15 min ago
- Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
31 min ago