Driver accused of speeding after crashing tour bus
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Highway patrol officers say 17 people were on the charter bus when the driver lost control on a curvy stretch of Highway 41 near Oakhurst.
The bus went up a dirt embankment just north of Road 630. The driver then swerved back onto the highway and crossed the south and northbound lanes before hitting a tree.
Sgt. Edward Greene of the California Highway Patrol said, "The tree was the only thing that stopped the vehicle from careening about 75 feet down a ravine." Greene says the 17th person on the bus, the driver, 49-year-old Changefeng Liu works for a Burlingame based tour company was taking tourists back to the bay area from Yosemite. At about 6 p.m. on Saturday the bus veered off the roadway.
"We are looking at the bus not being on all four wheels, it's up on the embankment on two wheels, all the passengers on the right side of the bus fell from their side of the bus onto the passengers on the left side of the bus," Greene said.
Liu told investigators the bus had mechanical problems but passengers on board had a very different account. They claim Liu was speeding. Some on board told the CHP officers they asked him to drive slower several times before the crash and some even got car sick.
"Upon examination inside the bus after the accident there was quite a bit of vomit all over inside the bus where the passengers were becoming sick," Greene said.
CHP says Liu is being cooperative and has no history of being a bad driver.
"He has a clean driving record. He states after the collision that he had a mechanical problem with the right front steering," Green said.
Sixteen people were taken to nearby hospitals and treated for minor to moderate injuries. If Liu is found at fault he could be cited for driving at unsafe speeds for the road conditions.
Investigators will examine that tour bus tomorrow to determine if there were any mechanical problems.
fresno, fresno county, yosemite national park, mariposa county, accident, local
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 26 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father 19 min ago
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway...
28 min ago