Fresno State names wine after president Welty
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some Fresno State students have created a new wine in honor of the university's retiring president, John Welty.
"Legacy- President's Reserve Classic Chardonnay 2012" Is meant to recognize Welty's contributions to the school's viticulture and enology programs.
Friday's presentation came as a surprise to the president. He says he thought he was just visiting a semester end wine tasting event.
Welty said, "I think what's special about it is that students are involved in it and uh, just to have my name associated with that is very special."
Welty served 22 years as president of Fresno State. The new wine will be poured at his retirement celebration Saturday at the Save Mart Center.
It can also be purchased at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market on campus.
fresno, fresno county, fresno state, local
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Don't wait until the New Year to get fit
37 min ago