Fresno PD cracks down on vehicles "cruising"
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are out looking to stop dangerous cruising along the Blackstone Avenue corridor in North Fresno. They say cruisers are out there a lot this time of year, showing off their cars, and sometimes racing.
Right now is prime time for cruisers driving here of course not illegal but police say cruising often leads to illegal activity.
Sometimes that means street racing. In the past, the crowds have even been so out of hand people have been stabbed and shot. In a matter of minutes police spot and cite a driver they say for having an illegally modified exhaust system.
Fresno police say its special cruising patrol is to make sure everyone is safe.
On Sunday night officer Erik Sanders led the special patrol. He says far too often large crowds of "souped-up" cars led to congestion and traffic accidents.
Benjamin Napolis lives in Central Fresno and he says cruisers regularly disrupt his Sunday nights.
Napolis said, "I pretty much hear them all night long, I don't know if they're doing donuts or racing or going back and forth. They're go up until, geez, one or two o'clock at night."
Police say part of the reason for their patrols is due to neighbor or business complaints. They're trying to keep the area safe so people like Benjamin are not detoured from leaving home.
This special patrol basically covers all of Blackstone Avenue from Central Fresno up to River Park.
Police say they will conduct these cruising patrols regularly this time of year.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, local, rick montanez
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Fire Safety