Merced County murder, kidnapping case heading to trial
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- An unusual jury selection process is now underway in a murder and kidnapping case in the North Valley.
Teresa Robles and Jose Velarde are accused of strangling a Planada woman and burning her body in an orchard near Snelling in 2010.
Detectives say the couple killed Ana Diaz Deceja because they wanted to keep her two-month-old son as their own. But days later, little Anthony was left on a doorstep in Le Grand.
Attorneys finished picking a jury for Velarde Wednesday, and will start selecting Robles' jury next week.
The trial is expected to last about a month.
crimetracker, murder, kidnapping, court, snelling, merced county, merced, local, sara sandrik
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Accuweather Forecast
59 min ago