Questions to ask your doctor before surgery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- If you or a loved one is getting ready for surgery, do you know the important questions to ask your doctor?
When it comes to health, Theresa Griffiths is in control. She recently needed a hysterectomy and spent three months researching surgeons.
Griffiths said, "I wanted to be fully informed and make a wise decision on who I'm entrusting my health to. I came in with a notepad of questions, and I wrote them all down."
Doctor Arnold Advincula says, patients should be asking their surgeons more questions.
Advincula said, "Unfortunately, a lot of patients put less effort into figuring out their doctors than they do when they go out and buy a car."
He says you should always ask: what is your success rate for this procedure? And, what is your complication rate? Those numbers should be equal to or less than national averages.
"I think if your surgeon has difficulty answering those questions, then you should think twice," Griffiths said.
Some questions that should be asked are: how many of these procedures have you performed? Where did you receive your training? And what medical societies do you belong to?
"It's important to find out, you know, what your doctor's qualifications? Are they qualified to be doing the procedure?" Griffiths said.
When it comes to the actual surgery, ask: what are the benefits and risks? Why am I having this done? And are there any alternatives?
Griffith's surgery was a success and she says, having her questions answered gave her peace of mind.
"You have every right in the world to really be extremely informed about such a critical issue in your life," she said.
The doctor says one of the biggest mistakes patients make is not getting a second opinion before a major operation.
local, margot kim
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos