Clovis Rodeo is full of wild rides and spills
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Day two of the 99th annual Clovis Rodeo wrapped up following a night of wild rides and spills.
Friday night saw some great steer wrestling, saddle bronc riding, and muttonbustin'. The crowds flooded into the arena at the 99th annual Clovis Rodeo to also watch country music artist Dustin Lynch perform.
Top rated cowboys work to keep themselves on the bucking bulls for 8 seconds. The crowd loves every moment.
Earlier in the day - thousands watched some exciting steer wrestling. Cowboys - working to pull the steer on its side - most doing so in about 5 seconds. We can't forget the crowd favorite Muttonbustin' with 5-year-old Wyatt Aviles as a second place rider.
"It just felt really bumpy" Wyatt said.
His dad - Devin says the only thing he told Wyatt to prepare him was to have fun.
Devin said, "It was awesome, you get nervous but it's just so much fun. His oldest sister did it, probably 5 years ago. So we've always just wanted to it since then."
Greg Gillard is this year's muttinbustin' chairman and he says - parents sometimes get more into the event than the kids.
Greg Gillard of the Clovis Rodeo said, "The parents go all out of the 'best dressed contest.' probably the most fun is the crowd, the really gets involved in it."
The rodeo is a fun weekend for Clovis, and police are out in full force to make sure it stays that way. Clovis officers are conducting sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols all weekend.
Clovis PD arrested 3 people Thursday night who were suspected of drunk driving. They say that number is low - which is good. The rodeo continues Saturday with much more.
The day will start off at 9:30 a.m. with the Clovis Rodeo Parade.
clovis, fresno, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well 13 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered