Authorities investigate drowning at Millerton Lake
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Park rangers say a man drowned at the state recreation area around 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon.
The investigation is now at its early stages, and investigators have not released the identity of the man who drowned.
The coroner's office was on scene to piece together what happened, and California State Parks said a local rental company dialed 911 after they found out the man was drowning. Park rangers say the incident occurred near an area of the lake without lifeguards.
There were two men in the water and both were having trouble staying afloat. Action News learned that people in a nearby boat threw a flotation device to one man, but the second man did not make it.
Paramedics from American Ambulance attempted to save the man, giving him CPR for nearly 30 minutes. Park rangers say the area were they man drowned was about 10 to 15 feet deep, and they are advising swimmers to be cautious.
Mark DeLeon of California State Parks said, "This is open water. It's not like swimming in the swimming pool. You have wind, boats, and it's hot. Limit your alcohol consumption, and if you're not a solid swimmer, use a personal flotation device."
Investigators are now working to find out if alcohol was a factor or the man may have had a medical condition.
The man's identity is unknown, but authorities believe the man is in his 30's, and that he is Hispanic and from out-of-town.
fresno, fresno county, millerton lake, local, mariana jacob
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges 40 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'