Officer opens fire after tracking down suspects
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are piecing together the moments that led up to an officer-involved shooting Sunday
Action News learned an undercover officer fired at two men, who were taken to a Fresno hospital and are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. The shooting happened near Cedar and Santa Ana Avenues at 5:45 p.m. when the officer said they were following the pair in relation to a shooting that occurred earlier this month. Officers are still looking for another suspect believed to be involved named Aaron Jones.
Investigators are looking for Jones and they say that suspect is believed to be armed and dangerous.
It was nearly a two-week search for two men who investigators say shot another man in the head in a separate incident. The officers said the suspects involved were followed where they crashed their vehicle on Cedar Avenue near Fresno State.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "It's always a concern for us when we're looking for people who are violent criminals and have an extensive violent history." Fresno police were looking for Aaron Jones, 22, and another suspect for a shooting that took place on April 18, 2013 in Southwest Fresno. Police say that gang fights in the area led the two to shoot another man in the head, critically injuring one.
Police tracked down the pair and started to tail them. "For whatever reason, perhaps he spotted the officers, he then jumped the median island and drove into northbound oncoming traffic, where he collided with a vehicle," Dyer said. That's when one officer fired at the suspect.
"That same round ultimately went through the suspect's hand, and struck the passenger who was in the vehicle," Dyer said.
People who live nearby were worried about the violence after they heard the gunshot, especially since it happened on Cedar Avenue, a major street.
It's not clear if the suspect had a gun on his person, and the officer who fired the shots at the suspects is now on administrative leave.
If anyone has any information about the whereabouts of Aaron Jones, you are asked to call the Fresno police.
fresno, fresno county, officer involved shooting, local
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list 5 min ago
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes