Machete used in fatal Atwater attack
ATWATER, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities in the North Valley are trying to determine what led a suspect to attack another man with a machete.
The attack happened during a barbecue outside a home in Atwater Sunday evening.
Investigators say 61-year-old Joseph McDonald - a transient - and others were guests at the home. But after some heavy drinking, the gathering turned ugly during a scuffle between 30-year-old Antonio Cruz Guzman and McDonald.
Investigators also say Guzman attacked McDonald with a machete, leaving him with severe cuts to his neck and arms.
"A witness told officers that they saw the suspect who fled the scene use what we call a machete," said Lt. Sammy Joseph. "And took the office where the suspect had dumped the machete as he fled the scene."
The suspect was found hours later at a trailer home not far from the crime scene.
McDonald died from his wounds at a local hospital. Guzman now faces murder charges.
crimetracker, murder, atwater, merced county, local, carlos saucedo
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos