Fresno's Mural District comes alive with art
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Art is coming alive in Downtown Fresno's Mural District.
From a distance, the colors on Granville's newest building, 1612 Fulton, pop out, but when you get closer, the images are starting to come to life.
"It's real colorful," said Francisco Vargas." It's got a lot power in it. You can tell there's lot of passion involved in it."
Muralist Francisco Vargas was tasked with painting Granville's mural project. Many artists entered the competition, but local resident Nary Tan had the winning image.
"Oh I jumped up and down until my joints hurt me," said Nary Tan. "It's just wonderful."
Nary says this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and it happened at time that she was deciding to really pursue art. After the win, it was time to get the project started.
Francisco then took the image Butterflies Lovers and projected it upon the wall at 1612 Fulton. He sketched a 22-foot design and then began painting to bring it to life.
Stroke by stroke, Francisco has transformed the once barren wall. He'll use about a dozen bright colors to help outline the abstract design of the monarchs and the couple in the image.
Nary Tan added, "The monarch represents immigration and all the hard work, the unity and the beautiful as you can see the pattern of the monarch inspired me."
The arts community says Granville's design is another artistic piece that's helping make the mural district more beautiful and vibrant than ever.
You can get a look at the mural this Thursday at 6:00 p.m. as part of ArtHop.
fresno downtown, fresno county, fresno, local, amanda venegas
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos