Fresno State students on alert after shootings
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno State students are on heightened alert following a pair of shootings near campus in recent days. The most recent shooting left a young man dead.
Fresno police say overall -- violent crime and the number of burglaries are down in the area, but the recent shootings are cause for concern. So officers in the northeast district plan to beef up patrols to make people feel more safe.
Student government at the university is also getting more involved in curbing crime around campus.
Arthur Montejano said, "We want to expand more on the Sierra Madre area, right now our focus has been on El Dorado Park and so we see Sierra Madre our next great frontier, the next place we'd like to invest more resources."
Right now it's looking to hire a full-time staff member to help coordinate those plans.
crimetracker, fresno state, fresno, fresno county, local, linda mumma
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno