Fresno pilot attempts world record flight
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno resident Jack Wiegand is attempting to soar to a new Guinness World Record.
At 20 years old, Jack hopes to become the youngest person to ever fly around the world by himself.
Jack Wiegand has been preparing for this day for most of his life.
"It's exciting," said Wiegand. "It's overwhelming, when you think about the whole trip like this, but I've prepared."
Solo 2013 is what Jack is calling his journey to fly solo around the world. His family and friends are supporting him all the way.
Jack's mom, Irene Wiegand said, "I'm a little nervous, but I am excited for him too. We've been working on this for so long and it's finally happening."
The college student has been flying since he was 13 and has 600 flight hours under his belt. Flight experts will help him navigate the skies and weather as he travels around the world.
Jack added, "I honestly think right now is the hardest part, realizing that I'm not going to be coming back for 40-50 days."
After a final check of the plane, filling it up with gas and some goodbyes, it was time to begin the mission.
In his single-engine plane, Jack will leave Fresno. He'll make 24 stops, cross three oceans and visit 14 different countries.
"I believe you can do anything you put your mind to," said Jack. "I really want everyone to take that message to heart. Because you really can and this is proof."
And after a few minutes taxing, the Fresno native took off on a journey of a lifetime.
Jack says he's hoping to make it back safe before June 22nd, which is his 21st birthday.
local, amanda venegas
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe