Fresno pilot attempts world record flight
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno resident Jack Wiegand is attempting to soar to a new Guinness World Record.
At 20 years old, Jack hopes to become the youngest person to ever fly around the world by himself.
Jack Wiegand has been preparing for this day for most of his life.
"It's exciting," said Wiegand. "It's overwhelming, when you think about the whole trip like this, but I've prepared."
Solo 2013 is what Jack is calling his journey to fly solo around the world. His family and friends are supporting him all the way.
Jack's mom, Irene Wiegand said, "I'm a little nervous, but I am excited for him too. We've been working on this for so long and it's finally happening."
The college student has been flying since he was 13 and has 600 flight hours under his belt. Flight experts will help him navigate the skies and weather as he travels around the world.
Jack added, "I honestly think right now is the hardest part, realizing that I'm not going to be coming back for 40-50 days."
After a final check of the plane, filling it up with gas and some goodbyes, it was time to begin the mission.
In his single-engine plane, Jack will leave Fresno. He'll make 24 stops, cross three oceans and visit 14 different countries.
"I believe you can do anything you put your mind to," said Jack. "I really want everyone to take that message to heart. Because you really can and this is proof."
And after a few minutes taxing, the Fresno native took off on a journey of a lifetime.
Jack says he's hoping to make it back safe before June 22nd, which is his 21st birthday.
local, amanda venegas
- Video: Foothill and mountain communities wake up to snow 9 min ago
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man