CPS worker beaten while investigating child abuse claims against family in NW Houston
HOUSTON -- A Child Protective Services worker has been hospitalized after being attacked while doing her job in northwest Houston.
We've learned she was doing a home visit at an apartment in the Somerset Complex on Tidwell near Highway 290 when she was assaulted.
CPS says the worker was making an unannounced visit on Thursday night to look into claims of medical neglect and child abuse. CPS tells us the investigator was in an apartment, talking with a family about possibly placing their child with relatives during her investigation.
The child was outside the apartment with her grandmother when the worker says she was violently attacked and beaten.
"The situation escalated and that's when the assault occurred," CPS Spokeswoman Estella Olguin said. "The child is now in foster care. We did take custody of her last night."
The CPS worker contacted a supervisor who then called police. The worker is still in the hospital, but is expected to physically recover.
CPS says while its workers know these situations can become potentially hostile, this type of attack on an CPS investigator is rare.
Houston police are still investigating the case.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed