WATCH LIVE: HPD holding press conference on Bush IAH shooting
HOUSTON -- Authorities say an armed man at a Bush Intercontinental Airport ticket counter shot and killed himself this afternoon. No one else was injured.
At around 1:35pm Houston police say they were called to a "discharge of firearm" at Terminal B. They say an armed male was at the ticket counter when he pulled out a gun and committed suicide. According to police, they are not looking for anyone else at the airport who may be involved in the shooting.
Witnesses tell ABC13 they heard a couple of gunshots ring out and a TSA agent told everyone to get down.
Dale Howard, of Tomball, was at the baggage handling area of the airport waiting for his sister to arrive on an incoming flight when he heard two shots fired from the floor above. A few seconds later, he said he heard three more shots.
"People were screaming. I knew exactly what it was -- gunfire," Howard said.
Police from an adjacent station rushed in, and Howard said he directed them to the floor above.
Greg Newburn, who was in the terminal waiting for a flight to Oklahoma City, said he was sitting in a cafe area when he heard two gunshots and after a pause, several more.
"It seemed like quite a few shots. Everyone was scrambling, running left and running right, turning tables up and hiding behind tables. Nobody knew what was happening. I couldn't tell where the shots were coming from," he said.
Newburn, from Gainesville, Fla., said it took him a few seconds to realize that the shots had come from the terminal ticketing area, near the security checkpoint. Newburn said he didn't see who had fired the shots.
Terminal B has been shut down during the investigation and passengers are being sent to other terminals, according to the Houston Airport System.
The FAA has issued a ground stop for all flights at IAH.
We have multiple news crews at the scene and will bring you more details.
Just last month, United Airlines unveiled the newly renovated Terminal B at IAH. The new 225,000 square foot South Concourse is four times larger than the previous facility and is used for United Express regional flights.
The terminal was expected to be fully operational as of yesterday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
bush intercontinental airport, local
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 55 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno