3-alarm fire rips through apartment complex in SW Houston
HOUSTON -- A 3-alarm fire this morning ripped through an apartment complex in southwest Houston.
The blaze happened at the Fairmont Apartments at 7303 Hillcroft. Emergency responders blocked the road in both directions as firefighters knocked down the flames.
We're told the call came in just before 4 this morning. In a matter of minutes, firefighters called a third alarm. Flames burned through a couple of second story apartments, and made it through the roof of the apartment building.
Several residents had to evacuate, and stand in the cold as firefighters went from apartment to apartment, dousing the flames.
"We have six immediate occupancies that are affected, but pretty much the whole building's going to be affected because any time you have a fire like that, all the power's going to have to be cut off. There's a lot of safety concerns," said Capt. Ruy Lozano with the Houston Fire Department.
There were no reports of injuries.
HFD says the fire displaced approximately 16 families. TThe Red Cross has been called in to help residents find a place to stay.
More than 40 HFD units responded to the incident, with more than 120 firefighters on scene.
Arson investigators have been called out to the scene to determine the cause of the blaze.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 32 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos