Man found shot to death in front of his north Harris County home
HOUSTON -- A north side community is on edge after one of their neighbors was found murdered in front of his home. Now authorities are searching for a killer.
Deputies were out at the home on Shayan Court at Karen St. near Airline Drive all morning and right now, investigators don't have a lot to go on, only that they're looking for two suspects.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says it got a call for shots fired a little before 6:30 this morning. When deputies arrived, they say they found a 48-year-old man laying on the ground in front of his home with gunshot wounds.
Detectives say at this point the shooting looks like the result of a robbery or robbery attempt.
"He was leaving for work, and from what I understand, he was confronted. They were giving him demands and then the shots were fired," said Det. Felipe Rivera with the Harris Co. Sheriff's Office.
Detectives say the man's family was inside the home when the shooting happened. Neighbors tell us they've had problems with crime in the area.
One woman says she was attacked and robbed by four men in front of her home recently. She bought a home security system with surveillance cameras after the attack , but says she wishes there were more police patrols in the neighborhood.
"This is our second homicide this year in that area, so it concerns me," she told us.
Zera Presley is the president of the Bellmar Civic Club, the neighborhood association. She says the victim was a kind man, who helped translate for other neighbors who didn't speak English.
"He was a family guy from what I've been told, watched out for everybody, and so my heart is really aching this morning. Because we did lose somebody in our community over money," Presley said.
Detectives are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call them or to call Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals