Transplant recipient meets donor's family in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A heart transplant recipient met her donor's family for the first time in Northwest Fresno on Saturday.
Debbie MacLaren of Turlock received a heart transplant in October 2007.
Her life-saving donation came after a Fresno teen named Cassandra Hendrix died and donated her organs.
Cassandra's mother says her daughter's decision to be a donor saved four people's lives.
Debbie said words cannot express her gratitude.
"But at the same time to know that they had their loss big deep loss no one can say enough words, enough thank yous for what occurred here," MacLaren said.
The two families met prior to a gathering to honor others whose final act was the gift of life for someone else.
The event recognized 250 donors and their families.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, local
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation