Yosemite hiker missing, backpack found at Vernal Fall
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- According to the National Park Service, Kenneth Stensby left a note stating that he was hiking to the top of Vernal Fall on Sunday, May 5.
Yosemite National Park Rangers said they are conducting a search for a missing hiker, 73 year old Kenneth Stensby, who set off on a day hike early Sunday morning, May 5, on his way to Vernal Fall. Stensby, an avid hiker from Edina, Minnesota, had been in the park for several days and was staying at the Ahwahnee Hotel.
Park Rangers say Stensby left a note early Sunday morning informing the hotel staff that he was leaving for the hike early and expected to be back at the hotel by noon.
The National Park Service said Park Rangers are conducting the search along the Mist Trail, from Happy Isles to the top of Vernal Fall. About 30 people and a dog team are currently involved in the search effort.
If you have any information on the whereabouts of Kenneth Stensby, or if you saw or moved his backpack, please call (209) 372-0432.
If you hiked the Mist Trail or John Muir Trail to Vernal or Nevada Falls on Sunday, May 5, please email your name, phone numbers, itinerary, and approximate time that you were at the top of Vernal Fall to email@example.com.
yosemite national park, mariposa county, missing person, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 53 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys 25 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County 4 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 20 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
53 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving...
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos