LNAS Petty Officer arrested for pimping a 17-year-old girl
LEMOORE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police say the last girl Charles Benavidez pimped was a 17-year-old from Porterville. They only found out about it because her younger sister acted out in school and when she got called to a meeting with administrators and her parents, she told them what was going on with her sister.
Behind these closed blinds, police say Naval Petty Officer Charles Benavidez ran a sort of second career -- as a pimp. They say it all came unraveled when he enlisted an underage girl from 40 miles away.
"They learned that Mr. Benavidez had been picking up and transporting a female between Porterville and Lemoore and soliciting her for prostitution," said Sgt. Dominic Barteau of the Porterville Police Department.
Police from Porterville, Lemoore and Tulare served a search warrant at the apartment and found evidence of an extensive operation. They say it even involved recording the sex acts.
"That was one of the things he offered as part of his business was that he would offer to sell the video to the people who took part in these acts with this juvenile," said Sgt. Barteau.
Investigators are using the videos to identify more suspects in the case. They say Benavidez didn't conduct his side business on the base, but other Naval Airmen may have been involved.
Neighbors say they never saw anyone in uniform walk in, but they definitely noticed something suspicious.
"My children noticed that they would come in, stay for a little bit, and then a few minutes later somebody else would come in," said neighbor Kelli Givens.
Givens says Benavidez was always nice to her, but she felt like her daughter was in danger as stranger after stranger arrived next door.
"When I did find out about it, (I was) just sick to my stomach," she said. "Because the little girl that was there last -- he switched girls every once in a while -- (she) was very young."
Benavidez is facing several felonious in Tulare County. Police say because he recorded the minor having sex acts and sold those recordings, he'll also face federal charges.
lemoore naval air station, crimetracker, sex crimes, hanford, lemoore, kings county, porterville, tulare county, tulare, visalia, local, corin hoggard
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos