Elderly Clovis woman dies after being hit by an SUV
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An elderly woman struck and killed by a vehicle that ran off the road and onto the sidewalk. The accident happened on Shaw near Pollasky early Thursday morning.
A portion of Shaw was closed while police investigated. The road is now open for the evening commute.
A busy roadway turned into a crime scene early Thursday morning. Clovis police say a driver hit and killed a pedestrian just before seven.
Sgt. Jim Koch said, "Based on preliminary investigation that the vehicle had left the roadway and struck the subject was the subject was on the sidewalk."
The victim's clothing and shoe were left behind. Investigators shut down the eastbound lanes of Shaw in between Minnewawa and Clovis to piece together what led up to the fatal crash. Officers also took a closer look at a red SUV, which had a large dent on the passenger's side.
Sgt. Jim Koch said, "We've been able to locate the vehicle involved in this incident and the driver."
Officers say that driver jumped the curb and hit the victim near the bus stop. The crash unfolded in a busy intersection and police say there were no eyewitnesses. However, Clovis firefighters were nearby raising money for the muscular dystrophy association.
Tim Lesmeister with the Clovis Fire Department explained, "We had somebody come by and flag down one of our guys and said there was a person down on the sidewalk."
Firefighters rushed to the scene to help the woman. She was taken to the hospital and died of her injuries. Bonifacio Jaimes says his aunt, 73-year-old Enedina Carrillo, was killed in the crash.
The victim's nephew came to the scene to see where his aunt spent her last moments alive.
For now family tells us they are still trying to understand how an ordinary day ended so tragically.
clovis, fresno county, accident, local, amanda venegas
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 17 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- Photos: Valley families celebrate Easter
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers