Fresno police warning residents about hot prowl burglaries
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are warning residents about prowling thieves, who seem to be focused on one part of town, and it's happening while you're sleeping.
Burglars break in and try to get away with your things before you wake up. The latest victims are in Northeast Fresno, off Shaw and Gettysburg, near Cedar and Maple.
It's got residents in that neighborhood talking- and it has police watching. Investigators say these types of break-ins are concerning, and they're asking neighbors to be on the lookout.
Kathy Bernardi says nearly all of her neighbors have reported some sort of break-in. Bernardi says, these days she's had no choice but to implement every possible security measure.
"We have lights, we have cameras, we have alarms, door locks to make sure everything's locked, windows secured, I don't know what else we can do."
Just down the street, her neighbors fell victim to a hot prowl. A thief crept into their house while they were sleeping. They woke up to find purses, cell phones and jewelry gone.
Chief Jerry Dyer said, "Hot prowls are always a concern when we identify these types of trends we want to make sure we address them quickly, because we know a burglary can quickly turn into a homicide."
Police are reminding people to make it difficult on thieves, keep doors and windows locked and backyard gates closed. The people who live in Kathy Bernardi's neighborhood have also turned to another type of security measure.
The majority of their neighborhood is linked together through nextdoor.com. It's a private, online neighborhood watch for the technological world. It's exclusive, meaning you have to have an invite by your own neighborhood to get in.
It's on this site that neighbors have spread the word about the hot prowl break-in. While they may not be able to stop the thieves, they can at least warn one another.
"We're trying to take care of the neighborhood, best we can."
Police also ask that you report suspicious activity; report the people who you think may not belong in your neighborhood.
crimetracker, burglary, fresno, fresno northeast, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years