Hanford authorities look to curb crime
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities say increasing gang activity has people living in fear in parts of Hanford.
On Saturday, officers targeted neighborhoods where crime is on the rise.
Working in teams police went door to door to curb crime in the eastern part of Hanford. The area has recently seen a spike in criminals moving in from bigger cities. "There have always been gangs in Hanford but we are seeing an influx of people coming to Hanford. With AB109 and realignment, it looks like people going to jail are getting released a lot quicker," said officer Jean Bidegary.
Hanford police responds to calls in these homes almost daily. "We have actually had complaints from neighbors saying my parents live in that area and they are afraid to come out at night because of all the gang and drug activity," said Bidegary.
Hanford police and the Kings County Gang Task Force carried out Saturday's sweep of those neighborhoods. Officers used dogs to sniff out drugs during the search. They are now seeing more people use methamphetamines and heroine. "Teenagers who are addicted to pills are turning to heroine because they can find it a lot cheaper."
Police founds one marijuana grow in the 25 houses they swept. They arrested eight people for having drugs or for parole violations.
hanford, kings county, crimetracker, local, mariana jacob
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers 55 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos