La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fire at La Tapatia factory in Central Fresno forced evacuations at the business, and at Producers Dairy, next door.
It started just before noon in an oven used to cook enchiladas. Black smoke poured out of the roof vents and doors and could be seen from half a mile away. Nearly three dozen firefighters rushed to the scene and quickly put out the flames.
Firefighters also brought in a powerful fan to help ventilate the building. "The oven was where the fire was, it was all contained to that one oven, but unfortunately we have a lot of smoke production as well that went through the entire building," said Charles Tobias.
Fresno Police closed part of Belmont during the fire. Employees had to wait for county environmental health officials to let them start making food again.
The damage is estimated at less than $1,000, but firefighters say they saved millions of dollars in property along with several jobs.
fresno, fresno county, fresno central, fire, local
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 38 min ago
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF 38 min ago
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases 36 min ago
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
36 min ago
- Traffic flowing through "Braided Ramps"
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos