La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fire at La Tapatia factory in Central Fresno forced evacuations at the business, and at Producers Dairy, next door.
It started just before noon in an oven used to cook enchiladas. Black smoke poured out of the roof vents and doors and could be seen from half a mile away. Nearly three dozen firefighters rushed to the scene and quickly put out the flames.
Firefighters also brought in a powerful fan to help ventilate the building. "The oven was where the fire was, it was all contained to that one oven, but unfortunately we have a lot of smoke production as well that went through the entire building," said Charles Tobias.
Fresno Police closed part of Belmont during the fire. Employees had to wait for county environmental health officials to let them start making food again.
The damage is estimated at less than $1,000, but firefighters say they saved millions of dollars in property along with several jobs.
fresno, fresno county, fresno central, fire, local
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 6 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- Photos: Valley families celebrate Easter
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers