La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fire at La Tapatia factory in Central Fresno forced evacuations at the business, and at Producers Dairy, next door.
It started just before noon in an oven used to cook enchiladas. Black smoke poured out of the roof vents and doors and could be seen from half a mile away. Nearly three dozen firefighters rushed to the scene and quickly put out the flames.
Firefighters also brought in a powerful fan to help ventilate the building. "The oven was where the fire was, it was all contained to that one oven, but unfortunately we have a lot of smoke production as well that went through the entire building," said Charles Tobias.
Fresno Police closed part of Belmont during the fire. Employees had to wait for county environmental health officials to let them start making food again.
The damage is estimated at less than $1,000, but firefighters say they saved millions of dollars in property along with several jobs.
fresno, fresno county, fresno central, fire, local
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos