Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
YOSEMITE LAKES, Calif. (KFSN) -- The fire is burning at Road 400 and Sandy Beach Drive. Mariposa CalFire said the fire has burned 91 acres and is 80 percent contained.
Dozens of CalFire firefighters were on scene in Yosemite Lakes Park trying to battle the wildfire. While crews fought the quickly moving fire by ground, air support was called in to help.
Residents looked on, while fire crews battled the flames for hours. But crews couldn't save the flames from burning resident Josh Altmiller's home. They were able to escape safely. He describes the moments he realized the fire was quickly coming upon his home. "My dog was acting funny and he ran up to the back door and he was just staring at the hill and he ran out the back door, and I walked out there and there was smoke. I told my wife to just get up and get ready. Get some shoes on the kids, don't worry about anything else."
For the next few hours the Altmillers watched parts of the house collapse under thick black smoke.
At one point more than two hundred firefighters worked to combat the burn. But crews say the weather and knee length dry grass helped fuel the flames.
Crews say the fire is no longer threatening any structures, but road 400 remains closed.
Firefighters were able to stop the fire from spreading beyond the 91 acres it burned Sunday evening. Officials are also crediting residents for clearing the areas near their homes.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this developing story. CalFire has named the fire "Lily 2."
yosemite lakes, coarsegold, madera county, fire, widlfire, local
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos