Standoff ends peacefully in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A six hour standoff has ended peacefully in Central Fresno with a suspect in custody and a young boy reunited with his family.
The standoff on Glenn Avenue ended around 6 am after Fresno SWAT team members were able to go into an apartment and take the suspect into custody. Police say the suspect had passed out after using drugs and had the young boy in his arms. Officers were able to take the boy and reunite him with his mother.
The intense situation unfolded overnight after a woman said the suspect held her against her will and threatened to kill her. Police say the suspect pistol whipped the woman. The two year old boy, another woman and her five month son were also in the apartment.
At some point, the suspect became distracted and the woman fled the scene. Neighbors tell Action News they heard the woman screaming and telling people a man was trying to kill her.
Police were called out to the scene as well as the SWAT team. Officers tell us negotiators tried to get the suspect to come out, but he refused. Police say the suspect fired a gun inside.
After hours of negotiating, officers say the suspect passed out. The woman and her baby escaped from the scene. Police made their way into the apartment and ended the standoff.
Police say the suspect has a criminal background and is facing multiple charges including assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping and domestic violence.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, swat, standoff, kidnapping, local, amanda venegas
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos