Experts say warm spring means more bugs
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The invasion of creepy crawlers into your yards and homes is underway. Experts tell us the warm spring is bringing roaches and spiders out earlier than normal.
Bob Hill of B&D Pest Control has been busy making the rounds, spraying around homes to kill growing bug populations around the valley.
Hill said, "We gotta try to hit the base of the house and the flower beds and stuff because that's where they're gonna be. Moisture areas you gotta watch the customer. Make sure they don't have a lot of excessive moisture."
Cockroaches thrive in cool, moist areas. Fresno county entomologist Gene Hannon said roach traps can help determine how big a problem you may have. Hannon explained, "If you have a trap and you find just one per month then it might just be an occasional invader. But if you're starting to find them regularly like every day or two of three a day then that shows they're likely breeding there."
Roach-filled traps signal an infestation. Many homeowners have noticed more pests outside so it's important you take protective measures because they're on the move.
Hannon said, "Insects are cold-blooded so as it gets warmer they're more active. People are outside more so they're starting to see activity. Typically, as the grounds and habitats start to dry up insects are looking for moisture which is often around the edge of homes."
Hill also wipes away spider webs during his visits.
Some homeowners may have noticed it is black widow season once again - another reason why spring cleaning is so important. Hill said, "You've gotta watch what you have around your house. Make sure you don't have a bunch of clutter against the house, places for them to hide."
People often bring Gene Hannon bugs to look over. Hissing cockroaches are exotic but harmless and won't be found around your home.
Both Hill and Hannon also made an interesting point. People love to lay down plastic tarp and mulch in their flower beds but the added moisture can also attract roaches and other bugs.
local, dale yurong
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 17 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown 9 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire 45 min ago
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Accuweather Forecast
52 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
48 min ago