Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Images from the tornado-ravaged town of Moore, Oklahoma keep pouring in as the destruction spans miles on end. While the cleanup is in the early stages, the devastation has many pitching in to help the victims rebuild their lives -- including some Valley students.
"The tornadoes in Oklahoma devastated so many lives and we just thought why don't we do something to help," said Daniel Lee, a Hoover High School senior.
Students at Hoover High made donation boxes labeled "Let's do Moore" for Moore, Oklahoma. They distributed them to each classroom Wednesday afternoon. Their goal is to collect as much money as possible within a week. "We have a school, they don't now. They lost so much and the least we can do is give back," said Jezmaree Melo, a high school senior.
The idea came as students and teachers heard of the horrific, yet heroic moments after an E-F 5 tornado leveled two schools. "We got kind of emotional talking about the students at the elementary school who were trapped, and how teachers were covering the kids up and protecting them," said Leslie Loewen, Campus Culture director.
Loewen said funds will go to the Oklahoma City Elk's Lodge to help with rebuilding efforts. "The kids are just very thankful for the sacrifices that people have made for them so they wanted to give back," said, Loewen.
"Anything helps," said Lee. "Whether you donate a dollar, $5, $10. It all adds up and they can use it for whatever they need."
tornado, fresno, fresno county, local, carlos saucedo
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Accuweather Forecast
13 min ago