Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jeremy Chacon, 24, of Pinedale is charged with 12 counts of felony arson for a series of fires set in April.
Detectives say they used surveillance video and tips from witnesses to nab the suspect. But it's the suspect's close ties to the community that has many people baffled.
The string of arson fires that plagued the Pinedale community, in early April, left many in the neighborhood on the lookout. One of those fires was intentionally set across the street from where Hope Olivares resides. The vacant home that was burned down is just a shell.
Hope recalls the night of the fire. "I came out and the house was in bunch of flames, fire everywhere. And I was scared that it was going to start the other house next door."
More than a month passed, and there was still no word of an arrest -- that is until Thursday. "It's our pleasure to announce the arrest of the serial arsonist that has been plaguing the Pinedale section of our community," announced Don MacAlpine, Deputy Fire Marshall.
Fire investigators say they nabbed the primary suspect, 23-year-old Jeremy Chacon -- linking him to 9 fires in the area.
"Anybody who is going to start a fire intentionally, roughly with malice in mind, is a danger and needs to be reckoned with appropriately," said MacAlpine.
On Wednesday, investigators with the multi-agency gang enforcement consortium served a search warrant at the suspect's Pinedale home -- just half a mile from one of the fires. Investigators say Chacon is responsible for a cluster of fires set inside dumpsters and at vacant properties.
While no one was injured, detectives are still trying to determine a motive.
News of the arrest has this community a bit more at ease. "I think a lot of people are going to be relieved. Because it is scary to see a home go up in flames," said Olivares.
Investigators say the suspect could face 17 to 39 years in prison if convicted.
pinedale, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, fire, arson, crimetracker, local, carlos saucedo
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos