Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jeremy Chacon, 24, of Pinedale is charged with 12 counts of felony arson for a series of fires set in April.
Detectives say they used surveillance video and tips from witnesses to nab the suspect. But it's the suspect's close ties to the community that has many people baffled.
The string of arson fires that plagued the Pinedale community, in early April, left many in the neighborhood on the lookout. One of those fires was intentionally set across the street from where Hope Olivares resides. The vacant home that was burned down is just a shell.
Hope recalls the night of the fire. "I came out and the house was in bunch of flames, fire everywhere. And I was scared that it was going to start the other house next door."
More than a month passed, and there was still no word of an arrest -- that is until Thursday. "It's our pleasure to announce the arrest of the serial arsonist that has been plaguing the Pinedale section of our community," announced Don MacAlpine, Deputy Fire Marshall.
Fire investigators say they nabbed the primary suspect, 23-year-old Jeremy Chacon -- linking him to 9 fires in the area.
"Anybody who is going to start a fire intentionally, roughly with malice in mind, is a danger and needs to be reckoned with appropriately," said MacAlpine.
On Wednesday, investigators with the multi-agency gang enforcement consortium served a search warrant at the suspect's Pinedale home -- just half a mile from one of the fires. Investigators say Chacon is responsible for a cluster of fires set inside dumpsters and at vacant properties.
While no one was injured, detectives are still trying to determine a motive.
News of the arrest has this community a bit more at ease. "I think a lot of people are going to be relieved. Because it is scary to see a home go up in flames," said Olivares.
Investigators say the suspect could face 17 to 39 years in prison if convicted.
pinedale, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, fire, arson, crimetracker, local, carlos saucedo
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case 53 min ago
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots 29 min ago
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters...
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos