Keeping safe this Memorial Day weekend
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The cooler weather will certainly make for a busy holiday weekend around the Valley. But a warning -- fire danger is high. And local lakes and rivers are expected to be crowded.
State park rangers are on full patrols now through Monday. They'll be checking on boaters and campers, to be sure everyone is following the rules.
They say last week was a busy one for rescues, with three near-drownings. And rangers say it's best to always know where you're on the lake.
State Park Ranger Mark Deleon said, "Grab a map, and kind of pinpoint the location of where you're at on that map so when you have an emergency you can tell 911 dispatch where you're at."
Fresno County Cal Fire is also on alert this weekend. They say to be aware of dry brush, and it's potential to catch fire. Officials say wildfires are up 50 percent compared to last year.
millerton lake, fresno county, holiday, local, rick montanez
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 27 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos