Two dead in Tulare Co apparent murder-suicide
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators in the South Valley are trying to determine why a man shot his two adult daughters before taking his own life.
The gunman's 8-year-old granddaughter called 9-1-1 Monday morning after waking up to the grisly scene.
It happened at a home in Orosi on Clyde Avenue near Road 128.
Tulare County investigators shut down most of Clyde Avenue in Orosi after an early morning shooting took the lives of two family members and critically injured another.
Sheriff's deputies say the murder-suicide happened at the hands of 63-year old Anthony Alvarez, who neighbors say was a Vietnam veteran. They showed us a 2008 article in a local paper that featured his military service.
"It's a big surprise. I mean, this morning I saw when all of the cops started getting here and you know, it was a big surprise to me. I just can't believe it. Poor kids," neighbor Felicia Marroquin said.
Investigators learned of the murder-suicide after a child in the house called 9-1-1 at around 4:30 a.m.
"The 8-year-old female made the 9-1-1 call to our office and our heart goes out to her," Sgt. Chris Douglass of the Tulare Co. Sheriff's Office said.
Investigators say Alvarez got into a disagreement with his daughter, 37-year old Jennifer Kimble, who is the mother of the three children in the house. He then shot her and his other daughter, 33-year old Valerie Alvarez, who also lives at the house. Neighbors say she is disabled and uses a wheelchair.
"I'm shocked, especially his daughter, Valerie, knowing the condition she's in and who would do that to a family," neighbor Melissa Gutierrez said.
Valerie Alvarez is still in critical condition at a hospital in Fresno.
Neighbors say the family was planning to go to Disneyland this week with the children.
orosi, tulare county, murder-suicide, crimetracker, local, jessica peres
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos